Thursday, December 18, 2008

Rev. Rick Warren, President-Elect Obama and the Inauguration

A controversy has arisen because our newly elected President has chosen Rev. Rick Warren to give the Invocation at his inauguration. Many supporters of marriage equality for homosexuals have expressed discontent at the choice in light of the role Rev. Warren's church played in opposing same sex marriage in the recent California referendum. Their argument is that this selection is an insult to homosexual Americans.

I'm not crazy about the selection of Rev. Warren. I honestly think that among the clergy in the United States there are MANY who have a more thorough, detailed and balanced grasp of theological issues and the relationship of religion and politics. Quite honestly, I was dissapointed in the way Rev.Warren handled the Presidential forum during the Fall campaign.

If I had my way, the prayer would be delivered by someone like Rev. John Thomas, UCC President, or Rev. Jim Wallis, founder and director of SOJOURNERS or a Susan Brooks Thisthewaite, former President of Chicago Theological Seminary or any number of prominent Bishops, theologians, or pastoral leaders from a variety of backgrounds and traditions.

Having said this, I will also say that in inviting Rick Warren to the podium in DC on Inauguration day, the new President, who strongly opposes Rev. Warren's view on homosexual rights, IS sending the message that, despite our differences, we can find a unity in a common faith that seeks ethical solutions to our problems.

In short, I don't think it was a good choice, but NOT because Rev. Warren's position on this issue is different from mine. I just think there are better representatives out there of an approach to religion and government that makes sense for this republic!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

FREE On-Demand TV Shows, Movies, Music(over 6 million digital quality tracks), Unlimited Games, Money, and FREE College Educations (Stanford, Oxford, Notre Dame and more) @ InternetSurfShack.com 

Anonymous said...

I saw Mr. Warren's interview on MSNBC the other night and I thought he was terrific. From what I've seen, he is a gracious and loving man. I like his selection.

Anonymous said...

I don't know who Thomas, Wallis and Brooks are; I've never heard of them. But, I know who Rick Warren is and I think Obama made a great selection. Rick Warren has written the best selling book in the history of the world, second only to the Bible, and he is the most popular Pastor in the US. How can anyone argue with those credentials?

Pastor Bob's Blog said...

I agree with many of the positive comments made about Rick Warren. I have no doubt that he is a man of great faith and has done much that is admirable. I also appreciate our President-Elect's intention to maintain relationship and dialogue with those whose perspective on some issues might be different from his own or much of his constituency.

While I would have preferred a different selection and I don't like how Rev. Warren handled the Proposition 8 issue in his home state, I'm hopeful he will offer an invocation that moves people to unity and to service.

I wish you a blessed Christmas! Thanks for writing...

PB

Pastor Bob's Blog said...

UPDATE.....

Rev. Warren's most recent comments in his videotaped message last weekend on his web site are unfortunate.....