Thursday, August 27, 2009

A NATION MOURNS SENATOR KENNEDY

Most Americans would agree that the political climate has been very volatile in these last few weeks. It is encouraging and refreshing to see the depth of heartfelt bipartisan tributes pouring in upon the death of Senator Edward Kennedy. John McCain and Nancy Reagan and many other Republicans have joined Chris Dodd and Joe Biden and other Democrats in honoring the memory of the man who served Massachusetts in the US Senate for forty seven years.

I don't want to make of this space a partisan political battleground. In honesty, though, I have to say that this young Catholic boy, child of working class parents in a working class town, was deeply inspired by the Kennedy family and their commitment to public service. This commitment, embodied in Senator Kennedy, has been duly recognized by colleagues mentioned above as well as his dear friend, Republican Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah.

For a good while, the personal flaws of Ted Kennedy and his brother were held up as examples of immoral behavior by public officials and both brothers underwent considerable public villification. In time, we have all learned that immoral behavior is quite bipartisan as well. Even if you were to quarrel vociferously with his politics and the policies he espoused, please join me in paying tribute today to a man with a great heart and with deep compassion and a profound love for this country.

Please join me as well in a recognition of God's grace that this man, by his own admission, realized the mistakes he had made in his life and then went on to serve his family well and to build a loving marriage. Join me also, if you will, in thanksgiving for God's grace, that this son of privilege, who endured enormous pain and heartbreak in his life, is now at peace and in the eternal presence of God and surrounded forever by an indescribable and incredibly fulfilling love, a love that knows no bounds.

For me, it's tough to write this because I DID admire him and his brothers and I really don't want to have a posthumous fight about politics here in this space. Yet I DO have to say that there is something to be said about admiring the values and ideals and work of certain individuals. I also have to say that one of the best things that can happen to anyone is having people in their lives, public people, who stand for something and inspire you to stand for something too!

So, in my life, I'm glad this family made an impression on me. As a little 8 year old, I'm grateful I heard those words:'Ask not what your country can do for you; Ask what you can do for your country' .I'm glad that in 1960 a barrier of discrimination came tumbling down making possible the removal of other barriers in the future of the nation. I'll long be grateful that when I was quite young I had a chance to meet a then rather young Senator and to speak with him, as he inspired in me a sense that even if you are young, you should get involved, take a stand and not be afraid to speak if you have something to say.

Well, I guess I got the message...........and I am glad that we live in a nation where maybe, just maybe, we can appreciate each other and find ways to see the good in those with whom we might disagree. Our nation needs that and Senator Kennedy exemplified that so powerfully and so well.....hence the tributes over these last two days...

In the ancient words of the faith he cherished so deeply:
.....REQUIESCAT IN PACE

May he rest in peace!

PB




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed While you might not agree fully with his politics or some aspects of his personal life he exemplified a man who lived life to the fullest. He worked doggedly for the things he believed in and enabled the passage of much good legislation to benefit civil rights, women's rights and rights of the poor and marginalized. By the grace of God he was given many second chances and the opportunity to serve god and his country. What more can one ask for in a life!