Tuesday, January 27, 2009

JOHN UPDIKE RIP+

One of America's great writers, John Updike, died today at the age of 76. Updike is the author of about 50 books, numerous short stories and reams of superb literary criticism. Having been first exposed to Updike as a student at Marianapolis Prep by an amazing English teacher, I came to discover RABBIT, RUN, which to this day remains my favorite novel. Not far behind is Updike's remarkable IN THE BEAUTY OF THE LILIES, a real classic and unique story which weaves religion, history and culture into a signicant narrative. After 9/11, Updike also wrote TERRORIST, an absolutely gripping work exploring the tensions existing within American culture.

Updike always impressed me with his indepth knowledge of philosophy, theology, language and culture. In my view, much of his work is worth studying if one wants to look at American religion through a literary lens. First and foremost, though, Updike could just write a very good story!

On a side note, Updike's essay on Ted Williams' last at bat is a classic in American sports literature. The baseball fan reading this owes it to her/himself to read 'Hub fans bid Kid adieu'.

I write this in gratitude to John Updike for what he has contributed and with thanks to Mr. DiNocenza, my English teacher, for letting me know there was such a man.

May he rest in peace. +

No comments: