Saturday, February 7, 2009

RELIGIOUS TERMINOLOGY

In preparing this weekend's sermon, I was reminded once again of how religious terms are so often used to divide believers from one another-

In Christian usage, such is the case with the terms EVANGELICAL, REFORMED, and CATHOLIC...

I want to propose that in reality, ALL Christian churches are called to be ALL THREE and that these words should not be 'battle' terms...

We who follow Jesus should all be:

EVANGELICAL...committed to telling the 'good news'

REFORMED......open to change within the institution......willing to be open to the Spirit...aware that human knowledge is limited and so too are human made rules

catholic- Universal, part of a larger body than the local church.....united with other Christians in spirit and working together with them in visible unity wherever possible....actually striving to make it possible...

These terms need not be religious weapons, as they so often are!!

PB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christians must recognize the blessing of conflict. Conflict is a marker for truth. Consider a married woman whose husband gives a conflicting account of his whereabouts last night. She may hate the truth or not, but the conflict presented her with the opportunity to see her life as it truly is. Truth does not need protecting, it is what actually happened. It is connected to all that is and was.

The church is plagued with disagreement leading to division after division. I for one don't have to be right; I just want to see clearly.

I praise my Lord Jesus for he is the truth. He showed me who I am. I hated it. He gave me courage. I fell on my knees with the understanding that I am corrupt through and through. Now I have no excuses, I can face the truth. That, I believe, is how we are to be a light in a dark world.