Sunday, March 22, 2009

HYMNS THAT EXPRESS WHAT WE BELIEVE

At Lenten worship on March 29, we will ask ourr music leader to play some hymns of our choice for us to sing and for me to comment upon. Would you mind sharing what some of your favorite hymns are and why......

My personal favorite is Luther's A MIGHTY FORTRESS IS OUR GOD......Someday, I will go on about it in more detail.....

I've based several sermons on parts of the hymn...My first sermon in Union was based on a line from the hymn...OUR STRIVING WOULD BE LOSING...

I'd love to read your comments...

PB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite hymns is "We Gather Together", and I have a question regarding it: the song was originally Dutch, written in the late 1500's to celebrate a Dutch victory over the Spanish. The American Puritans (who had lived in the Netherlands before coming to America) knew this song. Yet in what language did they sing it? According to all sources, the English lyrics that we use today were written in the late 19th century. Did the American Puritans sing it in Dutch, or were there other English lyrics?

Thanks,
Hans