Monday, March 9, 2009

Religion by the numbers.....

In the post below, I comment on today's story on www.courant.com In it, several numbers are tossed around: reduction of Catholics and 'mainline' Protestants in Connecticut, increase in religiously unaffiliated, slight increase in nondenominational Christians.....etc........

The reality IS that the religious landscape of America has changed radically over the course of many of our lifetimes. We middle agers and above live in an entirely different religious world from taht in which we grew up. At least that's what I think....

Realizing that memories are often colored by time......I'd be interested in your impressions of religious life today compared to back in your yesterday...however far back that might go....

I'd be interested too in your evaluation of this change.....or if in fact, it really is the change it might be cracked up to be...

What do you think?

PB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I left the church many years ago. After a confirmation class where the youth minister litterally tried to "cram Jesus" down our throats. I returned later as an adult. Seeking community and an avenue to put my feelings about social justice into action . Also my oldest child was reaching confirmation age and I wanted to give her the chance I never had.
I have fallen in love with the Bible -The history, the poetry, how well it really describes the human condition, the many layers of meaning.