Tuesday, May 12, 2009

DOES IT MATTER?

If you are a believing Christian, does it matter if you are Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, UCC or any other church? Are all churches really the same?

Check out our POLL QUESTIONS to the right......

THIS SUNDAY...I'll be preaching a sermon called ' TO BE UCC'.....

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the United Church of Christ...

* What are its distinguishing characteristics?
* is there a UCC approach to theology + church?
* What makes the UCC similar/different from other Christian churches?
* Do these questions even matter?...OR ARE THEY IRRELEVANT?

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

PB



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really hard question to answer. I grew up Methodist but my parents left the church when I was young probably because it wasn't " meeting their needs".My grandparents were Roman Catholic and I have only started to go to church recently. I like the open and affirming stance of many UCC churches. I feel the Catholic church in many ways is out of touch with the needs of the people . And I do not take a literal reading of the bible but rather approach it as a narrative that reveals God's nature and intent through the Hebrew Torah, books of wisdom, history, prophecy and finally books of the New Testament. The UCC seems to fit best with what I believe but again I do not know much about other denominations. If we could all try abide by the command to live justly, with mercy towars others and with reverence towards God and to treat our neighbors the way we would like to be treated it wouldn't matter so much the denomination. I think it all comes down to this!

Anonymous said...

There is only one Christian "church" which happens to have some denominational distinctions. It really does not matter what Christians call themselves denominationally; the critical element is a life yielded to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Affiliation with a recognized denominational "government" is not necessary for Christian faith; many Christian churches are not affiliated with governing bodies like the UCC; therefore, they cannot be categorized denominationally, yet they are part of the Christian church.

The question then focuses on the UCC. Does the UCC exist to honor and serve Jesus Christ above anything else? I believe the jury is out on this verdict.

David